John Pooley, Civil War Soldier


John Pooley.

Born in Norwich, England,___Son of Thomas Pooley,___bu occupation a Tailor,___Married,___at the age of 40 enlisted for three years in the 10th. Regiment of Infantry, Mass. Vols.___Company G.
Mustered into Service June 14, 1861, and appointed Sergeant at the organization of the company.
January 1, 1863 he was promoted to Orderly Sergeant of the company. In the latter part of February, 1863, he was furloughed ten days and visited his family in Chicopee.
He accompanied the regiment in all movements and participated in all duties until December 21, 1863.__At that date he reenlisted for three years in the same regiment as a veteran volunteer. He received the prescribed furlough of 35 days dated February 11, 1864, and visited his friends in Chicopee.
In the spring of 1864, he served with the regiment in Gen. Grant's campaign against Richmond, until May 12th. On that day occurred the battle of Spottsylvania Court House. During this engagement, the 10th. regiment suffered severely. Pooley shielded himself for a time by lying down behind the dead body of a fellow-soldier, and there used his gun until his ammunition was exhausted. Meantime, his blanket, which was rolled up and strapped on his back, was pierced several times with bullets. The rebels soon got possession of that part of the field, and Pooley, with others, was captured. At the moment of capture, he was struck on the head with the butt end of a musket, and knocked into a rifle pit. This act of barbarity saved his life; for otherwise he would have been riddled with bullets from both sides. While he lay in the pit, many dead and wounded fell upon him and nearly covered him.___After the battle was over, he was taken to a point five miles from Spottsylvania, and remained there about a week. He was robbed by the rebels of all his money and other valuables. Thence marched to Gordonsville; by cars through Lynchburg and Danville to Andersonville, Ga. where he arrived May 25th. Remained there in the prison pen and enduring all the horrors inflicted on the unfortunate prisoners till September following, when he was transferred to Florence, S.C.___About the 10th. of November entered the hospital. November 28, 1864, left Savannah, Va.___a paroled prisoner__and arrived at Annapolis, Md. December 4th.___Was taken to the hospital, being very much reduced and feeble, his recovery being very doubtful. His wife and friends were notified of his dangerous condition, and at once visited him. He began to amend, however, and soon after was furloughed 30 days from January 10, 1865; he arrived home on the 12th.
Pooley rejoined his Regiment the 37th Mass. Vols., to which he had been transferred June 20, 1864, at Wilson's Creek near Petersburgh. On the discharge of the 37th, Pooley with other veterans of the 10th on June 25, 1865, was transferred to the 20th Reg. Mass. Vols. July 16, 1865, this Reg. was mustered out of service at Munson's Hill, Va., and with it Pooley transferred to Readville, Mass. he was then discharged July 20, 1865, and subsequently returned to Chicopee.


ca. 1861-1865


Public Domain




“John Pooley, Civil War Soldier,” Chicopee Archives Online, accessed February 21, 2018,