Chicopee Falls, Chicopee City Directory, 1875-1876
T once busy, bustling and bright, and a prominent and prom
ising part of the town of Chicopee, as it is, is well entitled to a separate Directory of her people and business; to a map of her streets, and to special mention of her prominent manufacturing and business establishments.
NOTES ON THE MANUFACTURING AND MERCANTILE INTERESTS OF CHICOPEE FALLS.
The Belcher & Taylor Agricultural Tool Company have extended their reputation as
builders of good tools for farmers, to distant parts of the country. The works are
located on the north bank of the Chicopee River, which furnishes the power required
for the whole village. This Company manufactures Bullard's hay tedders and
rakes, and Stoddard's new balance rake. They also make garden barrows, and that popular cylinder plow formerly made at Greenfield, Mass. The New York feed cutter
is one of their specialties, while other implements needed on the farm, such as horse hoes, tobacco ridgers, corn shellers, vegetable cutters, road scrapers and warehouse
trucks are included in the variety of goods made by this well-known house. Perhaps the self-sharpening feed cutter is as curious and practical as any implement of this
age. The Company have sold over thirty-six thousand of them and still the demand
is great. The Company also make the conical or silver medal plow, and the right
hand corn sheller, the latter shelling corn as easily and rapidly as other shellers when worked by two hands. George S. Taylor is the agent, who resides at Chicopee Falls.
Just across the road, on the same side of the river, stands the gun manufactory of
J. Stevens & Co. Here are made all kinds of sporting rifles, shot guns, pistols, blun
derbusses, etc. The new sporting rifle, the invention of Mr. Stevens, is a very valu
able gun. There is a shot-gun barrel which can be used in place of the rifled one. Stevens & Co. manufacture a very fine breech-loading shot gun, and pocket rifles with barrels from six to eighteen inches long. We have seen some of the targets perforated by the shots from his rifles, in one case as many as fifty shots within a space of three inches radius, from a distance of four rods. J. Stevens & Co. send these guns to the far West and to the Canadas, there being much demand for them among hunters and sporting people.
B & J. W. Belcher have their works on the south side of the 'river. These parties
are successors to the old and well-known firm of Whitten1ore, Belcher & Co A spec ialty of this Company is their new lever cutter, patented May 25, 1875, a cut of which can be seen in another part of this book. T.hey also make hide roll, hay cutters with both spiral and straight knife, and various kinds of corn shellers. The celebrated Does' plow, with convex mould-board, is made here, and also here is to be found the A 100 swivel plow that has taken so many premiums in plowing contests. As you walk through their shops and warehouses, you see cultivators, harrows, road scrapers, wheel-barrows, etc., finished and being' shipped to market.
In the line of agricultural tools, Chicopee Falls has a reputation very flattering to
the enterprise of her manufacturers, even in the most distant parts of the country.
510 CHICOPEE FALLS DIRECTORY.
Our grandmothers would look with astonishment upon the machines for knitting stockings, could they walk into the manufactory of the Lamb Knitting Machine Com- pany, located at Chicopee Falls. Here are made thousands of that most useful ma-chine, whose skill in knitting stockings has well-nigh banished the old fashioned knitting needles from the land. With one of these machines, hose, gloves and mittens
are knit without a seam. It takes only thirty minutes to knit a pair of socks. We
learn that this Company have sold over 20,000 of these machines, and that they are to be found in every corner of the land. Another very useful article is also made by this Company, and that is the Dover egg beater. Over 800 gross of these little imple ments have been sold, and we never knew a housewife who did not say they were just what was wanted in the kitchen. Marion Harland gives this beater great praise in her late work, “Breakfast, Dinner and Tea.” She says: “I do not know whether ‘Do-ver’ stands for his name, that of the manufacturing company, or the place in which it was made. ‘Dover Egg Beater patented 1870,’ is stamped upon the circumference
of the iron wheel. I know nothing more of its antecedents, but if I could not get another, I would not sell mine for fifty dollars.”
One of the neatest and pleasantest bleacheries we ever visited is that of Anderton &
Dunn, at Chicopee Falls. This enterprising firm have been fortunate in finding a spring of remarkably pure water, and have located their buildings so as to get the full benefit of this spring. For some time past this bleachery was confined to the bleaching of cloth produced at this place, and the superior cotton flannels from the Chicopee Manufacturing Company, which took the lead in the New York market on account of their purity and whiteness, owed their distinction to the bleaching they had received by Messrs. Anderton & Dunn. They are now prepared to do bleaching for all manu facturers, and are receiving orders from Holyoke, Indian Orchard, and other places.
They are rapidly extending a very enviable reputation as bleachers.
The Chicopee Manufacturing Company is the largest of those at this village. Here are made shirting, sheetings, flannels, cotton flannels, quilts, printers’ cloths.
Their machinery is so varied that they can make cloth from twenty-eight inches to three and one-half yards in width. There are 1,200 hands employed. The main building, 438 feet long by 94 feet wide and four stories high, was erected in 1874. The Picker building is 100 feet by 40 feet. These are flanked by other buildings. The total productions for six months previous to June 1st, 1875, were five and one-half millions
of yards. The yearly productions are about 11 million yards. J. W. Osgood is the agent, having been elected in 1872 as successor to Ezekiel Blake, who acted in that ca-pacity for twenty-six years. The treasurer of the Company is Henry Saltonstall, 15 Chauncey street, Boston. Selling agents are: E. R. Mudge, Sawyer & Co., 15 Chaun
cey street, Boston, and 43 White street, New York.
The Massachusetts Arms Company located here have derived a national reputation for the manufacture of arms in the time of the great rebellion, and especially on ac count of the success of the Maynard Rifle, which has been made by this Company. T. W. Carter, agent for the Chicopee Manufacturing Company previously to 1846, has since that date been identified with the Massachusetts Arms Company, being one of the founders of the same, and now treasurer. This Company manufactures Maynard's central fire breech-loading rifles, also Maynard's shot guns. They have patented
a new model called the model of 1873, by which they can use Parker's central fire re-loading cartridges in place of the nipple and cap, together with an arrangement by which the hammer and firing pin are held in position so as to secure the arm from pre-mature discharge. Some targets which had been shot at by this rifle were shown us, and we found that W. P. McFarland, the superintendent, had placed every one of ten shots within one inch of the center (many of them in the center} at a distance of four rods.
The latest organization here is the Chicopee Falls Savings Bank. The banking room
is in the old office of the Chicopee Manufacturing Company. The bank was incorpo-rated last Spring. The officers have but lately perfected arrangements for commencing business. Josiah W. Osgood is president ; E. T. Paige, secretary ; and A. P. Chapin
CHICOPEE FALLS DIRECTORY. 511
treasurer. A full list of trustees and other officers can be found on another page. It
is a matter of congratulation that the prosperous village of Chicopee Falls has organ-
ized a Savings Bank, and it will not be many years before a discount bank will be much needed.
The Falls village is well represented by those engaged in mercantile pursuits. The
principal merchants of the village are mentioned elsewhere in this book, but a word or two of particulars may be interesting to the reader.
Hall & Camp at the “Old Hubbard stand,” can take credit in the age and fine reputa tion of their house, it having been known as one of the best for the past thirty years.
They make a specialty of doing fine custom clothing work, and claim to have the largest stock in the village.
Eugene Munn, a dealer in dry goods, groceries, etc., has a pretty store opposite
Wildes' Hotel, and cultivates a taste for flowers as well as business, his veranda dis
playing pretty goods but still more pretty flowers.
H. S. Newell takes to the substantials, such as meats, fish and vegetables, and supplies a portion of the town with that essential thing, good food.
J. P. & P. O'Callaghan are cautiously building up a trade in boots and shoes.
N. R. Wood provides the farmers and every one else with agricultural tools as well
as groceries and crockery, and finds low prices not a bad investment in these times.
Darling & Morgan, though on a quiet street, have taught people by the quality of
their dry goods, groceries, crockery and hard ware to seek them, and their busy store speaks well for the proprietors.
A. W. Page at the post-office, finds time to attend to the duties of a government of-ficial and to supply the village with the papers and periodicals, and still a little time every day to show up his good watches and elegant jewelry to his customers.
William Blake looks into the future and sees a snow-storm six months ahead, and providentially puts coal into his neighbors' cellars.
George Wallace can always be found at his post of duty, which is his busy tin and
stove store. He has everything which his neighbors need when they wish to burn
Blake's coal, and tin ware enough for all the cupboards in Chicopee.
Desotell & Prairie, though their names have a foreign air, are live Yankees if we may judge by their business activity, and they are furnishing a good variety of dry goods, groceries, crockery and vegetables, &c.
Edgar T. Paige finds time to run a telegraph office, in the interval of selling drugs
and medicines to the sick, and fancy and toilet articles to the well. His chemicals, dye stuffs and Shaker herbs, with a hundred other articles, crowd his little store with everything the people want, and if he don't have just what you ask for, he has but to tap that telegraph wire and the goods come in on the lightning express.
P. W. Smith will have the best grades of clothing, and is a deadly enemy to shoddy
in all its forms. He has the New Jersey shoe, which other dealers don't have, and in this cold climate he finds a good stock of shirts and underwear for gentlemen a prof itable thing at the Falls. Should any one get into a dispute with his neighbor (which of course is very rare in so well ordered a community) about boundary lines, he has but to call on P. W. Smith, who has a chain and all the other instruments for survey-ing and the parties soon learn “never to differ any more.”
When you are getting your groceries at Darling & Morgan's, don't forget that D. M. Cook is in the next store, with meats and vegetables, and can save you many steps.
R. Gardner is up-stairs, but that don’t prevent him from taking your measure and dressing you up in one of his custom-made suits.
Elias C. Terry keeps those stoves and ranges, eave troughs, &c., to sell. He don't mean to house them long.
Would you ride ? Try one of those fine teams of G. M. & F. H. Morton, near the hotel, and by-and-by, after you have returned and spied his new coal yard, think of the money you will save by buying your coal in summer, and give them an order. It is well to remember, also, that F. H. Morton is deputy sheriff, and conduct ourselves with sobriety in his presence.
No known copyright restrictions
“Chicopee Falls, Chicopee City Directory, 1875-1876,” Chicopee Archives Online, accessed June 25, 2017, http://www.chicopeepubliclibrary.org/archives/items/show/4026.