About the Library
Since 1853, the Chicopee Public Library has taken pride in bringing the best services and information to the residents of the City of Chicopee. In addition to the Emily L. Partyka Main Library at 449 Front Street, the library has a branch in Fairview at 402 Britton Street and a Bookmobile that makes weekly stops around the city. For more information about the Library and Library services, please stop by or contact us!
History of the Library
In 1853, Cabot Institute donated its collection of nine hundred books to form a public library. The town voted on March 11, 1853 to support a public library from tax dollars, making the Chicopee Public Library the first library funded by public funds in Western Massachusetts.
In 1907, Mrs. Spaulding donated $20,000 towards a new library building and on May 13, 1913, the Chicopee Library opened its first building built solely for the purpose of being a library.
In 2004, the Library expanded again, opening its current location on 449 Front Street.
- Norman Girouard, Chairperson
Term through 2/1/2018
- Carolyn Fitzgerald
Term through 2/1/2016
- Karen Kamienski
Term through 2/1/2017