Borrowing & Fines Policy
Loan Periods for Chicopee Public Library Items
- Books, Audiobooks, and Playaways circulate for 3 weeks
- Bestseller Books circulate for 2 weeks
- Magazines and DVDs circulate for 1 week
- Museum passes circulate for 2 days
- Items owned by other libraries may have different loan periods. The due date will always show on your checkout receipt.
Renewals for Chicopee Public Library Items
- Museum Passes are not renewable
- You may renew Media and New Items (DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks, Magazines, New Adult Fiction, and New Adult Nonfiction) one time per item
- Other items (older Adult books and all Children's books) can be renewed twice per item
- Items owned by other libraries may have different renewal policies. The renewals allowed for each item will show on your checkout receipt.
Borrowing Limits for Chicopee Public Library Items
New card holders (first-time borrowers) are limited to three (3) items at the first checkout. If you do not have your physical library card with you, you must show a picture ID and may check out up to three (3) items. Maximum checkouts per visit are as follows:
- Adult DVDs - total 5 items
- Children's DVDs - total 5 items
- Adult & Children's Music CDs - combined total 10 items
- Adult & Children's Books on CD - combined total 10 items
- Adult & Children's Magazines - combined total 10 items
The C/WMARS checkout limits per borrower are as follows:
- DVDs/videocassettes - limit 20
- CDs - limit 20
- Books on Tape/CD - limit 20
- Up to 50 items may be checked out on a card at one time.
Once an item is overdue, fines are charged for each day that the library is open. Print and audio materials will accrue a 10 cents per day fine with no grace period with a maximum fine of $3.00 per item. DVD fines will accrue at 50 cents per day with a maximum fine of $5.00 per item. Museum passes will accrue fines at a rate of $5.00 per day with a maximum fine of $10.00 per pass. After an item is 2 weeks overdue a reminder is sent to the borrower. A bill for replacement cost is sent when an item is 4 weeks overdue. In order to maintain a current, circulating collection of materials, overdue items held beyond 30 days of the date on the bill notice will be subject to a charge for the full replacement cost of that item, even if the item is eventually returned. For a lost or damaged item, the charge is the actual cost of the item. Payment can be made by cash or check and is non-refundable. Checks should be made out to the Chicopee Public Library. Payments can also be made online through the online catalog; minimum payment is $5.00 and is charged to a credit or debit card. Exact new copies will be accepted in place of lost or damaged items that belong to Chicopee Public Library. If you have lost or damaged an item owned by another library, please contact us or that library to find out the replacement policy. Patrons receiving notification that an item was returned with missing part(s) have 30 days to return the item(s) before the full cost of its replacement is charged to the patron's record. After this 30 day grace period, the requested item(s) will no longer be accepted in lieu of the replacement charge. The following fees are charged for replacement of lost articles: Borrowing and privileges will be suspended at all C/W MARS libraries if a patron's fines reach $10 or any item is four weeks overdue (billed).
- $2.00- Lost or damaged AV (Blu-ray/DVD/CD/Playaway) case
- $3.00- Lost or damaged AV (Blu-ray/DVD/CD/Playaway) insert
- $5.00- Lost or damaged AV case & insert (Blu-ray/DVD/CD/Playaway)
- $6.00- Lost or damaged audiotape (per tape)
- $8.00- Lost or damaged disc from book on CD (per disc)
- $50.00- replacement for a museum pass
Confidentiality of Library Records
Under the Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 78, Section 7 “That part of the records of a public library which reveals the identity and intellectual pursuits of a person using such library shall not be a public record…”
Confidentiality extends to information sought or received, and materials consulted, borrowed, and includes database search records, reference interviews, circulation records, interlibrary loan transactions, registration records, and all other personally identifiable uses of library materials, facilities, or services.
Circulation, registration information, and information retrieval records may not be disclosed except to:
- The cardholder (with card or other proper id). NOTE: This is regardless of age or relationship. For example, parents cannot be told what materials a child has checked out without the child’s consent.
- Staff of the Chicopee Public Library and the CWMARS Network in the administration of the library system and in facilitating interlibrary loans.
- Representatives of any local, state, or federal government, pursuant to subpoena or search warrant authorized under the authority of federal, state, or local law relating to civil, criminal, or investigative power. Upon receipt of any such subpoena or search warrant, the Library Director will consult with the City Law Department to determine if the subpoena or search warrant is in proper form and if there is a valid basis for its issuance before providing confidential information.
The Library does not sell, lease, or otherwise distribute or disclose patron name, email address, postal address, telephone number, or other personal information to outside parties.