Borrowing & Fines Policy
Loan Periods for Chicopee Public Library Items
- Books, Audiobooks, and Playaways circulate for 3 weeks
- Bestseller Books circulate for 2 weeks
- Magazines and DVDs circulate for 1 week
- Museum passes circulate for 2 days
- Items owned by other libraries may have different loan periods. The due date will always show on your checkout receipt.
Renewals for Chicopee Public Library Items
- Special items (Browsing Copies of books and movies) may not be renewable and may have alternate checkout times printed on the cover
- Museum Passes are not renewable
- You may renew Media and New Items (DVDs, CDs, Audiobooks, Magazines, New Adult Fiction, and New Adult Nonfiction) one time per item
- Other items (older Adult books and all Children's books) can be renewed twice per item
- Items owned by other libraries may have different renewal policies. The renewals allowed for each item will show on your checkout receipt.
Borrowing Limits for Chicopee Public Library Items
New card holders (first-time borrowers) are limited to three (3) items at the first checkout. If you do not have your physical library card with you, you must show a picture ID and may check out up to three (3) items.
Maximum checkouts per visit are as follows:
- Adult & Children's DVDs - combined total 5 items
- Adult & Children's Music CDs - combined total 10 items
- Adult & Children's Books on CD - combined total 10 items
- Adult & Children's Magazines - combined total 10 items
The C/WMARS checkout limits per borrower are as follows:
- DVDs/videocassettes - limit 20
- CDs - limit 20
- Books on Tape/CD - limit 20
- $2.00- Lost or damaged AV (Blu-ray/DVD/CD/Playaway) case
- $3.00- Lost or damaged AV (Blu-ray/DVD/CD/Playaway) insert
- $5.00- Lost or damaged AV case & insert (Blu-ray/DVD/CD/Playaway)
- $6.00- Lost or damaged audiotape (per tape)
- $8.00- Lost or damaged disc from book on CD (per disc)
- $50.00- replacement for a museum pass
Up to 50 items may be checked out on a card at one time.
Once an item is overdue, fines are charged for each day that the library is open. Print and audio materials will accrue a 10 cents per day fine with no grace period with a maximum fine of $3.00 per item. DVD fines will accrue at $1.00 a day with a maximum fine of $5.00 per item. Museum passes will accrue fines at a rate of $5.00 per day with a maximum fine of $10.00 per pass.
After an item is 2 weeks overdue a reminder is sent to the borrower. A bill for replacement cost is sent when an item is 4 weeks overdue. In order to maintain a current, circulating collection of materials, overdue items held beyond 30 days of the date on the bill notice will be subject to a charge for the full replacement cost of that item, even if the item is eventually returned.
For a lost or damaged item, the charge is the actual cost of the item. Payment can be made by cash or check and is non-refundable. Checks should be made out to the Chicopee Public Library. Payments can also be made online through the online catalog; minimum payment is $5.00 and is charged to a credit or debit card. Exact new copies will be accepted in place of lost or damaged items that belong to Chicopee Public Library. If you have lost or damaged an item owned by another library, please contact us or that library to find out the replacement policy.
Patrons receiving notification that an item was returned with missing part(s) have 30 days to return the item(s) before the full cost of its replacement is charged to the patron's record. After this 30 day grace period, the requested item(s) will no longer be accepted in lieu of the replacement charge.
The following fees are charged for replacement of lost articles:
Borrowing and privileges will be suspended at all C/W MARS libraries if a patron's fines reach $10 or any item is four weeks overdue (billed).