Summer 2014 programs
No matter your age, we have the Summer Reading program for you! Summer Reading starts June 24th, and will include activities for the whole family.
This year's theme is "Fizz! Boom! Read!" Elementary-Age readers earn raffle tickets for the amount of time they read. Raffle winners are drawn each week. Pre-Readers can join as "Read-To-Me" participants and receive raffle chances for books read aloud to them. Also, check out our programs this summer for kids and families.
This year's theme is "Spark a Reaction!" Sign up, log your reading hours, and enter a raffle to win books, gift cards, and other cool prizes.
This year's theme is "Fizz! Boom! Read!" The first 50 sign ups will receive a Chicopee Public Library sticker. Submit book reviews throughout the summer to enter a raffle for prizes.
Adult and Family Summer Events
Monday Movies are at 6 PM.
- July 7 The Butler (PG-13)
- July 21 Philomena (PG-13)
- August 4 Gravity (PG-13)
- August 18 Saving Mr. Banks (PG-13)
Tuesday Talks & Tunes
Tuesday events begin at 6:30 PM, unless otherwise noted.
- July 8 John Root - Edible Perennial Gardening and Landscaping
- July 15 at 6 PM Pastel Class with Greg Maichack: Sublime Sunflowers. Register in advance at the Reference Desk or call 594-1800 ext 3.
- July 22 Civil War Era Dance Demo with the Small Planet Dancers
- July 29 Pioneer Valley Concert Band
- August 5 Jumpin' Juba blues and roots-y rock music
- August 12 Sara Campbell: Municipal Records for Genealogists
- August 19 Readings from the Writers' Group
Classes are from 2-4 PM in the Computer Lab on Wednesdays. Register in advance at the Reference Desk for or call 594-1800 ext 3.
- July 9 Absolute Beginner
- July 16 Everything Email
- July 23 E-readers and Tablets
- July 30 Your Health Online
- August 6 Absolute Beginner
- August 13 Magazines, Movies, and More
- August 20 E-readers and Tablets
Thursday Night Concert Series
Concerts are at 6:30 PM in the Amphitheater. Rain or Shine. (Rain location is in the Community Room.)
- June 26 Goat Ropers (Country/Rock)
- July 3 Celebration Brass Band (New Orleans-style Brass Band)
- July 10 Lonesome Brothers (Rock)
- July 17 Bright Lines (Roots & Rockabilly)
- July 24 Ethel Lee (Blues/Jazz)
- July 31 Alchemystics (Reggae)
- August 14 Eva Cappelli and the Watershops (Lively mix of many styles)
- August 21 Davis Bates and Roger Tincknell (Americana)
Thursday Special Event - Ice Cream with the Mayor!
Friday Family Flicks
Friday Movies are at 1:00 PM
- July 11 The Iron Giant (PG)
- July 18 Frozen (PG)
- July 25 Monsters University (G)
- August 1 Despicable Me 2 (PG)
- August 8 Meet the Robinsons (G)
- August 15 The Incredibles (PG)
2014 summer reading program and events are sponsored by:
- Chicopee Public Library
- Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
- Massachusetts Library System
- Collaborative Summer Library Program
- Friends of the Chicopee Public Library
- Chicopee Cultural Council
- Boston Bruins!
Major funding for these programs is provided by a grant from The Dow Jones Foundation.